Monday, April 4, 2011

oh, polenta, you are so good!




My fondest (and only) memory of eating polenta in pre-vegan life was at a firehouse dinner when I was a kid. I probably ate it on a paper plate, too. Well let me tell you: have I ever moved on. We eat on real plates last night! Also, our polenta was a little more...refined (although it still came in a package).
We found the recipe on fatfreevegan.com: here.


It was real good. We chopped up the packaged polenta into little squares and used a ton of spices on it like rosemary, thyme, basil, and some other good-tasting things. We used about two teaspoons of each and used less than a capful of olive oil so the polenta wouldn't stick. While I was doing that, Zach sauteed onions, garlic, mushrooms, kidney beans, and veggie broth. It was a really fast dinner which helps when you're feeling reeeeally lazy because you laid in bed all day ;)

Also, I wanted to eat a lot of it because it tasted so delicious.
















$$$:
Polenta-- $3.09 (faster, but buying a big bag of polenta and making it yourself is probably cheaper).
Onion--39 cents?
Kidney beans-- 59 cents
Mushrooms-- 70 cents
Spices, spices, spices
Vegetable bouillon-- 99 cents




2 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you could be more specifice with the exact of spices so i know which ones to use.
    "used a ton of spices on it like rosemary, thyme, basil, and some other good-tasting things"
    I dont know what you mean :(
    Thanks!!!! i want to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey noemi,

    sorry this took forever. We forgot how to cook. I think just rosemary, thyme, basil, salt and pepper might be good. We got a big spice rack for our wedding, so we just kind of experimented, but those few spices should be good. Just taste-test :)

    --Christina

    ReplyDelete