Sunday, July 31, 2011

tempeh bacon


I went to Indonesia with my dad and stepmom last winter and one of my favorite discoveries there was tempeh. Seriously. It's like a vegan dream come true. It has so much flavor. I made tempeh bacon tonight while Zach was out with a migraine and it is incredible. Well, I didn't let it cook enough to get crispy like bacon, but it still has a lot of flavor. I've never cooked bacon in my life, haha.
I got it from this recipe, but had to modify it a little bit (I didn't use all of the maple syrup-- I have an aversion-- and I used paprika in lieu of cayenne.)

I used about 2/3 of a package of tempeh, slice them up really thin and threw them in the marinade. For some reason, the marinade wasn't as liquid-y as I would have liked. I might go with more soy sauce next time.

Anyways, I threw the bacon in with a lettuce-orange-tomato-carrot salad I made. Eat tempeh, everybody.


3 comments:

  1. Would you please get in touch with me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! You are so talented! Vegan food always seems like it would be hard to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christina! It's Leah from weliveupstairs.blogspot.com. I'm so glad you entered the Anthropologie giveaway I'm doing, but I will need the links for you Facebook and twitter shares if you'd like the additional entires. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete