Thursday, July 21, 2011

Graham cracker biscuits.


So, the graham crackers didn't turn out as terribly as I thought they would. In fact, Zach ate two or three. They actually turned out more like biscuits because I didn't roll them out enough, which is okay except I can probably only eat a half of one instead of three, haha. They're not too sweet, which is fine since I guess biscuits aren't usually sweet...
In all seriousness, I am happy with these. When I make these again, I'll be sure to roll the dough out more and sprinkle more cinnamon and sugar on them. Also, we ran out of agave and I didn't really want to use honey so I just added a little more brown sugar (I would suggest adding regular sugar, unless you have agave or want to use honey).

I had to buy all purpose flour (it calls for both whole wheat and all purpose), but I made sure to get unbleached and unbromated. I also had to buy margarine, but I bought the Albertson's brand for 1/2 the price of the Earth Balance cost.














Recipe: (from Vegan Yum Yum**)

Graham Crackers
Makes at least 24 3×3″ Crackers

2 1/2 Cups Graham Flour or Stoneground Flour or Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Earth Balance Margarine
1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 Cup Agave Nectar (or a little more sugar mixed with water)
3/4 Cup Water

Mix the all the dry ingredients together. Cream together Earth Balance and sugar. Add vanilla and agave and beat with a whisk until smooth. Add a little of the flour and a little of the water to the earth balance/sugar mixture and combine. Continue adding in flour and water, a little at a time, until all flour and water is added. Work the dough with your hands until everything is evenly combined.

Divide dough in half and cover. Let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 325º F. Roll out the dough into a rectangle that measures approximately 11″x15″. Trim edges. Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the dough into squares or rectangles (I cut mine into 3′x3′ squares). Prick the squares with a fork.

Bake for 30-40 minutes at 325º F or until the crackers are turning golden brown around the edges. You can sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top of the crackers during the last 10 minutes of baking if you like.

Remove from the baking sheet and let cool on a wire rack. See the video above for visual directions.


** Look up the Vegan Yum Yum cookbook on Amazon. We seriously use it the most out of all of our cookbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment